Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

So here are my resolutions for 2011:

1. Journal more often. I found one of my old journals the other day and was transported back to my teenage years. I remember all the angst and heartache that went into those pages, and how diligently I crafted each entry, hoping that the act of writing would somehow solve all my problems. And while I did over dramatize about every other event (what teenage girl didn't?), it was astounding to see how honest I was with myself. I need to do more of that kind of writing, especially now when so many things are happening in my life. So I want to scrapbook/journal at least four times a week, even if it's only a little note to myself about the day's events.

2. Read more. A lot more. Did you see the picture of the books John and I got for Christmas? If not, here it is again:
Yeah, so I have no excuse for not reading. That includes daily Bible reading as well as fiction and nonfiction stuff. I received a lot of Elisabeth Elliot's work, which is fantastic. I may even rent End of Spear again to get the full context of her struggle (her husband was brutally murdered by a band of Amazon natives to whom he, and three other missionaries, were trying to share the Gospel). I'm also working through a Julia Child phase, and I am finding her passion to be absolutely wonderful. Case in point: I went to the Fayetteville library, found the oldest copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and actually read the foreword. To a cookbook. And you know what? It was awesome. Here's a sampling:
"This is a book for the servantless American cook who can be unconcerned on occasion with budgets, waistlines, time schedules, children's meals, the parent-chaffeur-den mother syndrome, or anything else which might interfere with the enjoyment of producing something wonderful to eat."
So I need to set aside time every day to read. Every day. Maybe before bed? Maybe after John leaves in the morning? I'm not sure yet, but I'll let you know which works best.

3.  Forgive myself. I have become quite the self-deprecator (yes, I made up that word).  It seems that every time I screw up, I refuse to forgive myself. Whether it be an overcooked pot of beans, a wrongly-washed dress shirt, or an unvacuumed apartment, I am always upset at having failed. This year, I would like to try harder at letting things go, forgiving myself for all the little things that no one will even remember in 2012.

4. Be more homemade. Thanks to a fantastic two-day road trip and a husband who prefers to do most of the driving, I am in love with knitting. Let me explain...
Toward the middle of October, John and I discussed the possibility of a Michigan Thanksgiving. Apparently this is a family tradition, occurring every two years or so, wherein the Peterson side of the family convenes at the home of John's grandmother, Inez, in Iron Mountain, Michigan. Fast forward to mid-November, when plans are confirmed that Kelly will be participating in this tradition, which also involves a TWO-DAY, SIXTEEN-HOUR DRIVE. Being the fidgety person that I am, I knew, instinctively, that I needed something to do. Sewing seemed hazardous, as did oil painting, playing guitar, and Scrabble (loose tiles could cause driving accidents). Crossword puzzles get boring, reading is rude, and listening to music is not enough. So I chose knitting. I went to Hobby Lobby, spent $11.37 on two types of yarn, one set of 8mm needles, and a crochet hook. The result, after knitting there and back, was a beautiful, fairly decently knitted teal scarf!
With all that said, I want to do more handmade, homemade things. That includes cooking more from scratch (which I'm already doing more of), making more knitted/sewed/embroidered items, and using more earth-friendly, cost-effective cleaning products. If you have any tips or ideas for the above, please comment!

5. Love. Love my husband, my family, my friends, my community, my neighbors, and myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words of Wisdom